Lisa Jones, our newly appointed Junior Development Coordinator and Ashley Williams our Trystars Coach, have quite a term planned for our budding triathletes. Read on to find out all you need to know about our 2020/2021 Trystars program.
The Trystars program is for triathletes who:
- Are aged 7 – 11 years old in 2020
- Are, ideally, able to swim 50 metres competently and unaided (this can be discussed with Lisa and Ashley)
- Can ride a bike competently and safely
- Can be self-sufficient, independent and contribute positively to a sporting group.
Please note that Trystars will progress to our Junior Development Squad when athletes begin to participate in the “Enticer” events (or equivalent) in the Queensland Triathlon Series. The minimum age to participate in the “Enticer” race is 12 years old.
Essential equipment needed to participate:
- Swim cap and goggles and togs suitable for biking and running in.
- A safely functioning and well-maintained bike and a suitable, undamaged bike helmet.
- Singlet, shorts, runners, visor.
- Sunscreen, water bottle and appropriate nutrition.
- A tri suit
- Pool toys (Fins, kick board, pull buoy)
At Bayside Multisport we are committed to providing the best value and training options for our members. This includes our smallest members and the future of our club.
Starting in summer 2020, Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club will be introducing a new Trystars program over the two summer terms. This program has been designed to:
- Expose our juniors to all three triathlon disciplines – swim / bike / run
- Reduce the costs and administrative burden for our parents
- Encourage increased parent participation
- Improve support and coordination at events for our juniors
- Make our juniors (and their parents) feel a part of our great club
A dedicated coach has been appointed for our Trystars: Ashley Williams.
Ash is a Triathlon Australia accredited Foundation Level coach, a Swim Australia Teacher of Competitive Swimming Coach, an accredited technical official and an experienced triathlete with 3 ironman finishes to his name. Mentored by our senior coach Toby Somerville, Ash is dedicated to supporting our junior members into the future and give them the best opportunity to excel in this great sport.
Our training sessions and activities run each term over the summer:
- Term “4” 2020 – Monday 5th October 2020 to Saturday 12th December 2020.
- Term “1” 2021 – Monday 27th January 2021 to Saturday 1st April 2021
Athletes and families have two options in which to attend and train. Families can choose to purchase a training package or pay for individual sessions or a combination of individual sessions.
Trystars Training Package – Option 1
A $250 per term fee will cover the following:
- 1 weekly swim squad
- 1 weekly run squad
- Saturday morning weekly triathlon training
- An additional second swim squad can be purchased at the individual termly cost of $145.50 per term- if required.
Trystars Individual Training Sessions – Option 2
Individual Swim Squad
- Monday 4.00pm – 5.00pm OR Thursday 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- An additional, second swim squad can be purchased at the individual termly cost – if required.
- Cost $140.50 per term
Individual Run Squad
- Wednesday 5.15pm – 6.00pm
- Location: Manly pool
- Cost $60 per term
Individual Triathlon Training
- Saturday 7.30am – 8.30am
- Location: Manly Pool
- Cost $120 per term
This year, we have introduced a new payment system where families will choose the training sessions that they wish to attend and then pay in advance at the beginning of the school term. It is hoped that a prepaid cashless system will create an efficient payment process. Please note, any sessions paid for but not attended cannot be reimbursed.
Individual sessions can be selected and paid for separately, on a termly basis or families can choose to sign up for our Try Stars Package as per the details above. The training package or individual training sessions required can be selected via the registration form via the link in the Athlete registration section below.
Parents, Guardians and Caregivers
At the beginning of every term there will be a Parent Support Group Meeting. This will be held on the first Saturday of every term from 7.30am – 8.30am. The purpose of this session is to discuss the training overview and any voluntary parent involvement. This year we would like to invite our parents to be more involved in our training sessions. This can be in the simple form of providing fruit for our mini triathletes at the end of a session or it could be assisting in a session with guidance or timing. Please complete the relevant sections in the registration form (link in the Athlete Registration section) to notify us of your interest. We would love to have you on board and maybe we can get parents to do a leg in a Triathlon!!! 😊
All members (Junior and Senior) are required to become TA and Bayside Multisport Members for insurance purposes. This is a combined one-off yearly fee of $75.
For this fee you get the following:
- Club gear bag, swim cap and drink bottle
- Reduced entry fees to events
- Triathlon Australia insurance
- Discounts with Club Sponsors – Rival Bikes, Inspire Athletic, etc
- New friends, fitness and lots of fun
Triathlon Australia and Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club Membership
In order to train and compete in triathlons, all athletes must be registered with Triathlon Australia. The TA membership price for athletes aged 5 – 11 years, who are club members is $35 per year. Once you have a Triathlon Australia (TA) Membership, you are then able to select a Triathlon Club membership. The TA membership automatically provides you will a Triathlon Queensland membership, at no extra cost.
Athletes are entitled to one free taster session at Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club, then participants must be a club member in order to participate in further sessions. The cost of the Bayside membership for athletes aged 5 – 11 is $40 per year.
Please follow the link below to buy a TA and Bayside Multisport Triathlon membership and sign up prior to completing the registration form below.
Steps to follow
- Click “Join now”
- Enter email Address
- Select membership type (Single membership)
- Fill in relevant details for you and your family member with your email. Tick the parent guardian box at the bottom.
- Select membership relevant to the age group (5 – 11)
- Select a Club 1 Year membership
- Select QLD Membership
- Select a club membership – Bayside Multi Sport Triathlon Club
- Follow the rest of the prompts for payment.
Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club – Athlete Registration
Once you have your TA and Bayside Multisport Membership, please follow the link below to register and pay for the relevant athlete training sessions. This payment and registration will be done on a termly basis. Invoices will be sent when registration details have been received. Please complete the form by Friday 2 October.
The registration form asks several questions, regarding the triathlete that is signing up. Please answer the relevant questions in as much detail as possible. A form needs to be completed for each individual being registered. Please note that the registration process and participation criteria highlight that athletes must be able to swim 50 metres unaided and unassisted. Please contact myself, Lisa Jones on email@example.com or Trystars Coach, Ashley Williams on firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to discuss this further.
Please follow the link below:
All training and event communication will be done through Team App and email. Please ensure that you have downloaded Team App and submitted your correct email address.
For general club information you can request access to join the private group “Bayside Multisport (Member)” page.
You can also like and follow the public Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club page.
Instructions for downloading Team App are:
- Download “Team App” https://www.teamapp.com/app?_detail=v1
- Click on “Find your team/club”
- Search Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club
- Wait for access to be given.
It is a family’s responsibility to check the events calendar on Team App or the email address given for training content and equipment needed. Training outlines will be published in the calendar at the earliest convenience and will also be sent out via email on a Monday, for the following week. Where possible, notifications concerning updates or cancellations will be published by 6pm on the evening prior to a session. However in adverse weather conditions Team App and emails should be checked before leaving for any training session. It is suggested that families check the Team App Calendar and emails regularly.
Races and events
Bayside Multisport Triathlon Club members regularly sign up for and compete in the Queensland Tri Series races. The events are supportive and family friendly and we have a Bayside Tent and presence at the majority of the events (where it is allowed under current COVID-safe plans). Families can enter these events at their own cost and entry and registration is paid for by athletes’ families. The Junior events are well planned, and officials are supportive and helpful. There is a huge range of triathlete abilities, from those who are doing their first triathlon to those who are regional representatives. Everyone is made to feel very welcome.
For more information and to enter follow the link below:
More experienced triathletes may like to register for the All Schools Triathlon Event being held on Sunday 25 October in Kawana. Nominations are done through individual schools and families. For more information, follow the link below:
If you have any queries or questions do not hesitate to contact Lisa at email@example.com.